Thursday, April 30, 2015

Alonzo Harris Exemplifies Rogue Police Attitudes Toward Blacks They Police

Denzel Washington as Alonzo Harris in Training Day
If you want to gain a realistic perspective on why blacks in under served neighborhoods get fed up with some police tactics and attitudes you need look no further than the movie Training Day.
The movie is on my list of all-time favorites.  I was one of many people that was critical of brilliant actor Denzel Washington winning the 2001 best actor award for playing one of the most negative characters of his career. Denzel played the very influential leader and activist in the project Malcolm X but gets the award for playing one of the dirtiest cops ever to be on a force.

The more I watched Training Day, the more I understood the weight that movie carried. The movie is actually a documentary about the bad apples that have infiltrated some of the nation's police forces. Moreover, the movie hammers home the situation citizens in underserved neighborhoods find themselves in under the threat of rogue cops.

Near the end of the movie Denzel's character, Alonzo Harris goes on a turbulent rant. 

What he says exemplifies the message those in the justice system send communities when cops wrongly kill blacks and walk away scott free. I can't speak for other blacks, but this is sure as hell the message I hear.

You can't argue against the frustration born out of cops killing a man while he's in their custody and five weeks later no one is in jail compared to a young black man throwing a trash can through a police vehicle window and the next day he's in lock-up facing 20 years to life.

"I'm the man up in this piece. You'll never see the light of... who the fuck do you think you're fucking with? I'm the police, I run shit around here. You just live here. Yeah, that's right, you better walk away. Go on and walk away... 'cause I'm gonna' burn this motherfucker down. King Kong ain't got shit on me." 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for investing your time to share your valuable insight on this post and topic.