Friday, August 21, 2015

Facebook Friend Scam Alert!


Share This Post!
I was working on a blog post recently when I received a Facebook alert that a friend had private messaged me. The friend was a high school classmate. I thought it odd that after a year of no contact she would suddenly hit me up - vaguely asking about the well-being and my family.

Something else I found strange was she didn't elude any of the "school days" memories or experiences. She said she wanted to pass on some good news.
After thanking her for reaching out to me with whatever good news she had - she responded with this:

"You are welcome and i am thankful and blessed,not been up to much but passing a good news accross to you but not sure if you might have heard about them already."

Broken English and misspelled  words mixed with promises of good news or fortune scream SCAM!

I complimented her on her growing up beautiful.

Most women are going to accept a beautiful compliment humbly and elaborate a little. She didn't.

She asked about my family.

I gave her the "everybody's fine" response.

She replied good. No mention of the sister we went to school with or inquiry about is your Dad still.... How did your sister do @ xyz university?

I asked her about this good news she mentioned.

She (They) gave me a spill about the United Nations Commission  was giving money to people in need. They said  (in tangled English that my Facebook friends and I could qualify for this money by filling out a form and simply paying a Fedex Delivery fee to get the money delivered.

You need to fill a form when you add him up then choose a prize to claim,then you pay shipping fee to the fedex cashier,winning money will be delivered in a package box just 12hours after the payment.

RED ASS FLAG.

The message said I had to Facebook friend a dna  somebody  to get the ball rolling.

IF YOU RECEIVE A FACEBOOK MESSAGE LIKE  THIS AT THIS POINT YOU VERIFY THE FRAUD!

How?

Ask a personal question relative to you and the friend's past. Make sure it's a question the phisher can't lift from said friend's Facebook page.

My question was "Where did we go to college?"

The answer was a college I never heard of.

They even showed their fraudulent hand more by inquiring "Why you wont to know that?" Not an answer you're going to get from a woman you went to college with.

At this point - check your Facebook friend roster. Unless you can tell which one is authentic delete them both.

Further validation that this message was a scam is when I went back to Facebook Messenger to copy and paste for this post all of this "friends" messages had  "been temporarily removed because the sender's account requires verification".

This Facebook scam appears to be a migration of an email scam  that read like this:

COMPENSATION FROM UNITED NATIONS COMMISSION (UNCC)
From: FROM UNITED NATIONS COMPENSATION COMMISSION (UNCC) <jan.baumgartner@j-b.ch>
To:
Bcc:
Date: Sat, Apr 13, 2013 10:51 am
United Nation Organization
UNITED NATIONS COMPENSATION COMMISSION (UNCC)
Our Ref: WB/NF/UN/01
From: DR.Christian Oboh.
UNITED NATIONS ORGANIZATION INFORMATION DESK.
Good Day, I am Dr.Christian Oboh from FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF GHANA UN
REPRESENTATIVE here in Nigeria I have with me now a BANK DRAFT of $4.5 Million
compensation fee to be sent to you via DHL to your house address.
Be advised that you do not have to communicate with any other person concerning
this transaction because all the people you have been communicating with are all
importers.You have to thank the UNITED NATION for making it possible for the
compensation of $4.5 Million. This Money will be cashed the same day you take
Draft your bank for deposite.
The original documents covering the fund is about 47 copies and will be signed
before sending it to you by DHL.
You do not have to communicate with any other person because your transaction is
now been handled by the UNITED NATION REPRESENTATIVE here in Nigeria. I will
need just $850 to pay for the {BANK DRAFT STAMP DUTY}, Send the money with the
name of my personal assistant (Mr. Paul Eke.) and forward the information to me
as soon as you send it.
Please advice your family to be happy at this time because we the united nation 
organization have taken the responsibility to make the transfer of your fund.
Don't worry yourself anymore I will be sending your bank Draft to you to enable
you pay back all the money you have borrowed from people and also take good care
of your family again. (Grammar error highlighted- straight signs of a fraudulent email or friend)
I will be waiting for the MTCN of the $850,
God bless you and your family,
You can call me on my number for more information and advice.
Dr.Christian Oboh. Tel: +2348077762849

WHAT YOU SHOULD DO.

DON'T FILL OUT ANY FORMS - DELETE THE FRIEND. You can always send the friend another friend request. Alert Facebook and the friend to the scam.

And remember - you'll never have to pay for any money that's really yours - whoever is giving you this money will have already gotten theirs off the top - shipping included.

HOW DID THEY FIND THEIR WAY TO YOU VIA AN UNWITTING FRIEND?

Look to previously accepted new friends.

You won't have to look far. They'll be in the form of a sexy lady on the guys friend's list and sexy well to do man on you ladies friends list both with some minor financial  issue they need help with.

Yep - that's the face of your scammer. Delete them too. then past this post on.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for investing your time to share your valuable insight on this post and topic.